It’s no secret that weddings have been a little different this year. COVID-19 has changed our lives and how we interact with others and, at least for the foreseeable future, we have to adjust to our “new normal”.
As restrictions ease more and more couples are going forward with their wedding plans in person rather than postponing or having their celebration via Zoom. If you’ve been invited to a wedding at this time, you may be wondering if it’s safe, and whether or not you feel comfortable attending.
Here are some things to consider if you’ve been invited to a wedding during COVID-19:
Is it outdoors?
This is a big one. As we’ve learned, it is much safer to be around people outdoors rather than indoors. If the wedding is outdoors, you are likely able to social distance and remain safe.
Is social distancing possible?
Whether the wedding is inside or out– social distancing needs to be a top priority according to top health officials. Do a quick Google search of the couple’s venue to see what the space is like and whether or not social distancing will be easy or difficult.
What precautions are the couple taking?
In order to keep everyone safe, couples are likely taking precautions that go above and beyond the bare minimum. Since you are likely close with the couple – ask them what they are doing to keep everyone safe.
Once you have the answers to these questions, it really is up to you whether or not you are comfortable attending. If you decide against attending, be sure to have a conversation with the couple and be honest with your feelings. Let them know that you would be happy to get together with them at a later date to celebrate their marriage and of course, be sure to make it clear that your attendance has everything to do with COVID-19 and not them! Of course, if you decide to sit the wedding out, be sure to send a gift and card to let your friends know you are thinking of them.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Toronto Restaurants with Stunning Patios that are Perfect for Events
- How to Host the Perfect COVID-Friendly Backyard Gathering
- Nicky and Ben’s Sweet Intimate Micro-Wedding at McMichael Canadian Art Collection
If you do decide to attend, here are some extra precautions you can take to keep yourself safe:
- Wear a mask when indoors, or when social distancing is not possible
- Carry hand sanitizer and use frequently
- Avoid hugging or kissing other guests who aren’t in your social bubble
- Consider bottled beverages over mixed
- Sit towards the back/side of the ceremony space to avoid being surrounded by people
- Consider only attending the ceremony