We’ve all heard the saying ‘pics or it didn’t happen’ right? Well, when it comes to your wedding, it’s kind of true… hiring your wedding photographer is not only a large expense, but it is also an incredibly important decision.
When it comes to picking your wedding photographer, you want to make sure you choose someone who is talented, but also that you get along with. How they fit into your wedding day is extremely important because you want to look natural in their photos, not stiff and uncomfortable. But with so many great wedding photographers in the GTA, how do you know which photographer is right for you?
First things first – head on over to the ‘gram and the web and start digging. When picking a wedding photographer, you want to make sure you love their style: are they edited, or more natural? Do they create fun shots, or is everything posed? Is there a certain x factor to their photos?
Once you have established the style you want from your photographer, it’s time to interview them! Set up a coffee date and spend an hour chatting with your potential photographer. Do they make you laugh? Are you relaxed around them? You will also want to get a feel for how they operate on the day.
Here are a few questions you should absolutely ask any potential photographers:
- How would you describe your photography style?
- How would you describe your working style, do you blend into the background or do you direct?
- If your style is mostly candid, will I still get formal, posed portraits (and vice versa)?
- Do you specialize in indoor or outdoor events, or both?
- Do you have an updated portfolio I can review with examples of full weddings?
- Can I give you a list of specific shots we would like?
- Are you the photographer who will shoot my wedding? How many assistants/second shooters do you have?
- What type of equipment do you use? Do you have backup equipment?
- What about a backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for some reason?
- How will you (and your assistants) be dressed?
- Have you ever worked at my wedding venue before? If not, do you plan to check it out in advance?
- What will your timing be on the day?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due?
- Do you offer payment plans?
- What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- Do you charge a travel fee and what does that cover?
- What packages do you offer?
- Do you provide retouching, colour adjustment, or other corrective services?
- How long after the wedding will I get the proofs? Will they be view-able online?
- How many final images should I expect to receive?
- Will you give me the digital negatives or unlimited downloads so I can make my own prints?
- May I have a list of references or a link to reviews?
- Have you ever worked with my videographer? Coordinator? Venue manager? etc.
- What information do you need from me before the wedding day?
You May Also Be Interested In
- Aligning Expectations: 12 Tips on Working Successfully with Your Wedding Vendors
- How To Find Your Perfect Wedding Photographer: 12 Tips From the Pros Themselves
Remember, a photographer should never hesitate to provide you with references or a written contract, and they should make you feel comfortable and excited about your wedding photos. Take your time and find a photographer who will fit seamlessly into your day. Happy planning!